ASM Online Member Community

View Only
  • 1.  Heat Treat of 4140 grade

Posted 02-27-2023 10:15

We make automotive parts of 4140 grade. Heat treat lot size max. is appx. 950 lbs. An average part weight is 0.2 lbs. Quenching temp. is 160 F. My question is 

Is there a publish literature that states the maximum acceptable time delay between quench and temper to prevent quench cracks e.g. 1/2 hr., 1 hr. or 2 hr. etc.? Most of the existing literature states temper as soon as the parts cool enough to feel comfortable to the bare hands (100 - 120F).  

------------------------------
    Bhaskar Chatrath
    Plant metallurgist
    McGard
    Orchard Park NY
    Education courses

• 2.  RE: Heat Treat of 4140 grade

Posted 02-28-2023 10:00

I don't think time is a factor. As long as the parts are kept warm, I believe they could be held indefinitely without cracking.

I would add that in my experience, 4140 is not particularly prone to quench cracking, either immediately upon quench or delayed cracking near room temperature. Perhaps your parts have some geometry that makes them very sensitive, but if not, I would not anticipate immediate or delayed quench cracking with 4140.

Of course, I understand taking a conservative approach if cracking the parts would have unacceptable consequences. Don't take any risks you aren't comfortable with based on my advice.

Ken Kirby
    Snap-on, Inc.
    Kenosha WI
    (262) 748-3836

Education courses

• 3.  RE: Heat Treat of 4140 grade

Posted 03-01-2023 08:30

Bhaskar,

Get a copy of AMS2759/1.  There are conservative 'snap' tempering and tempering guidelines in that document that work well.  Although 4140 is not an alloy one associates with post-quench, pre-temper cracking, there are circumstances where it could occur.  The usual culprits are complex and thick cross sections adjacent to one another, re-entrant angles, corners with little or no radius on them, decarb, and castings.

Ed Engelhard
    Solar Atmospheres
    Souderton PA

Education courses