ASM Online Member Community

View Only

IMS Webinar: Engineer Your Future - The Lion in the Path: Adventures in Stainless Steel with Dr. Sunniva Collins

• 1.  IMS Webinar: Engineer Your Future - The Lion in the Path: Adventures in Stainless Steel with Dr. Sunniva Collins

Posted 06-15-2022 14:21

Hello everyone,

I am excited to share this upcoming talk featuring Dr. Sunniva Collins, Ph.D., FASM, FASMu. Please feel free to share to those within your network to help us get the word out. Thank you and hope to see you there!

Join us on Thursday, June 23 for Engineer Your Future - The Lion in the Path: Adventures in Stainless Steel with Dr. Sunniva Collins. 

When – Thursday, June 23, 2022, at 1:00 PM Eastern

Registration Link - https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8842043136403892752

Abstract:

As a metallurgist starting out, I made the remark once that I liked working with stainless steel, because "nothing ever happens with austenite." How wrong I was, and I had this proven by time and experience over and over. I will share anecdotes of surprises from my research, looking at all the things that can happen in austenitic stainless steels. I got to know AISI 316/316L very well during my time with Swagelok and was able to explore many aspects of the alloy, including how it's made, and how it's used and misused. I'll discuss a variety of topics (machining, welding, powder metallurgy and metal injection molding, surface finishing and surface treating, heat treatment, corrosion, and wear), all about my favorite alloy AISI 316/316L.

Bio:

Sunniva Collins joined the faculty of the Case School of Engineering at Case Western Reserve University in March 2013. She teaches Materials, Design, and Manufacturing courses in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. As Associate Dean for Professional Programs, she is responsible for the administration and development of Masters-level programs and certificates for engineering professional development. Prior to CWRU, Collins was employed by Swagelok Company for 18 years. She served in several engineering management positions and coordinated the company's academic and governmental research partnerships.

Collins received her doctorate and master's degree in materials science and engineering from Case Western Reserve University and her bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan. Her research has been recognized with the 2006 ASM Engineered Materials Achievement Award, and a 2008 R&D 100 Award. Collins is a Fellow of ASM International (FASM) and served on the ASM Board of Trustees from 2008 to 2011 and 2013 to 2016. She was President of ASM International in 2014-2015. Collins is a Fellow of Alpha Sigma Mu, the national honor society for materials scientists. She is the 2014 recipient of the Cleveland Technical Societies (CTSC) Technical Educator Award, the 2019 Albert Sauveur Award from the ASM Philadelphia Chapter, and the 2021 ASM International Allan Ray Putnam Service Award. She is an inventor on eight U.S. patents.

------------------------------
    Bernoulli Andilab
    Ryerson University
    Mississauga ON
    (416) 979-5329
    ------------------------------
    Education courses