ASM Online Member Community

View Only
  • 1.  Sharing and Outreaching! - EPC Webinar #2 presented by Abby Carbone

Posted 07-19-2022 20:42
    Greetings community!

Its Lun again! We have received some very constructive feedbacks from our last EPC webinars on student engagements. You can find the last ASM Connect Post here. First of all, thank you and we appreciate your engagement! For those EPs who are no longer students, please remember that the door to the EPC committee is always opened to you! 

This July, I am happy to present our 2nd webinar on the topic "The Unexpected Versatility of Scanning Electron Microscopy for Outreach in Materials Science" by Ph.D. student Abby Carbone from Stanford University. Abby has many experiences and stories reaching out to K-12 students, demonstrating to them the amazing world of materials science through an SEM electron microscope. She will share on her stories and give tips for educational outreaching! 

Please feel free to share this content! To access the webinars, please click the following registration link and be redirected to view the recording! 

Meanwhile, Abby is also invited here in this connect post to answer any questions you may have! You can find information about our next webinars in my last post. Next webinar will be a live session by Prof. Leslie Frame! Stay Tuned. 

Thank you very much for your time and please feel free to provide CONNECT! 

Sincerely,

------------------------------
    Lun Chan
    Mentorship Chair, EPC Committee
    Executive Member, ASM-DC Chapter
    Ph.D. Candidate, University of Virginia
    (323) 688-7872
    ------------------------------
    Education courses

• 2.  RE: Sharing and Outreaching! - EPC Webinar #2 presented by Abby Carbone

Posted 07-20-2022 15:34
    Thanks for sharing the webinar by Abby Carbone. 

The SEM is indeed a great demonstration tool.  Ours had the room papered with several high quality photo prints (these were from back in the darkroom days) of both metallurgical shots and insects.  Non-technical people could relate to the bugs better of course!  It included 1)Here's a fly's head; 2) Here is the eye; 3)Here is the dust between the segments of the compound eye!

Prior to retirement I had the pleasure of giving a yearly Met Lab tour to the local community college Materials Engineering class near the end of their course, and the SEM was always a hit with those students as well, as they now had at least a clue as to metals, structure, alloys, and fracture surfaces.  We had set up an HDTV screen on the back wall for meetings and similar situations where a larger group could view it.

Now with portable SEMs one could actually take the whole demo to a classroom, although it's certainly easier for a presenter to do it in a lab with all of the "gear" already set up.  And while I still think that using a stereoscope, and a metallograph with eyepieces, gives the best possible view, microscopes with display screens are far easier to share/point/discuss.
    Paul Tibbals

Education courses