ASM Online Member Community

View Only
  • 1.  What are some "not very popular" but excellent book (s) in materials science field

Posted 08-04-2022 10:29
    Hello ASM community,

In your opinion, what are some worth-reading, well-written books (textbooks), in the metallurgy & materials science fields, that are not very well-known.

Regards,

------------------------------
    Habib Alavi
    Materials Scientist/Metallurgist
    Cook Medical
    West Lafayette IN
    Education courses

• 2.  RE: What are some "not very popular" but excellent book (s) in materials science field

Posted 08-05-2022 08:56
    In my opinion the best book ever written on materials science is "The Principles of Engineering Materials" by Craig R. Barrett, Alan S. Tetelman, William D. Nix. It is out of print, but you can get used copies on Amazon.
    Bill Vanderlinde

William Vanderlinde
    DoD
    College Park MD
    (410) 693-1336

Education courses

• 3.  RE: What are some "not very popular" but excellent book (s) in materials science field

Posted 08-06-2022 14:24
    Habib and co -

With 500+ pages for under $10 (paperback, used, Amazon or Ebay),
    I doubt you will go wrong with Barrett/Tetelman&Nix.  However, realize
    the content is from 1973.  Hence, the references are even earlier.

- Jim

Education courses

• 4.  RE: What are some "not very popular" but excellent book (s) in materials science field

Posted 08-09-2022 12:50
    Jim,

I agree with that. Bill also suggested the same book, and I am excited to receive that and start reading it. 

Habib

Habib Alavi
    Cook Medical
    West Lafayette IN

Education courses

• 5.  RE: What are some "not very popular" but excellent book (s) in materials science field

Posted 08-09-2022 12:49
    Bill,

Thanks for recommending that book. I did put an order on that.

Best,
    Habib

Habib Alavi
    Cook Medical
    West Lafayette IN

Education courses

• 6.  RE: What are some "not very popular" but excellent book (s) in materials science field

Posted 08-06-2022 11:05
    I have always been a fan of "Physical Metallurgy for Engineers" by Clark and Varney. This book does a good job of marrying materials science with practical alloys and their properties and uses.

On the less practical side, but more science, it's hard to beat "The Structure and Properties of Materials" by Moffatt, Pearsall, and Wulff (and also know affectionately as "The Wulff Series)") There are 4 volumes.

Two for honorable mention are:
    "Physical Metallurgy Principles" by Reed-Hill. Good book but not as fun to read as the first two.
    "Mechanical Metallurgy" by Dieter. This is an excellent book for understanding mechanical properties.

These books were all part of my undergraduate education in the mid-70's. All of these books  are all still within an arm's reach of my desk at work.

I don't think any are in print. A few years ago a friend picked up soft cover "copies" of Clark and Varney and the Wulff series while in India.

Joe Strauss
    HJE Company, Inc.
    Queensbury, NY 12804

Joseph Strauss
    Engineer/President
    H J E COMPANY, INC.,HJE COMPANY, INC.
    Queensbury NY
    (518) 792-8733

Education courses

• 7.  RE: What are some "not very popular" but excellent book (s) in materials science field

Posted 08-09-2022 12:52
    Joe,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have read the "The Structure and Properties of Materials" by Moffatt, Pearsall, and Wulff and they are really well-written. I will be trying "Physical Metallurgy for Engineers" by Clark and Varney in near future.

Thanks,
    Habib 

Habib Alavi
    Cook Medical
    West Lafayette IN

Education courses