ASM Online Member Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

• 1.  ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-18-2023 11:59

In ASTM A681 - Standard Steel Specification for Tool Steels Alloy, note A in Table 1 says that "...Unless otherwise specified, nickel plus copper equal 0.75% max for all types".  I was asked what the reasoning for this was and I wasn't able to come up with an answer.  I've looked in the Roberts Tools Steel book and checked around in other locations and can't seem to find a good explanation for this restriction.  I have some guesses, but nothing that feels right.

Now I am simply curious.  Does anyone know what the reasoning of this is?  It goes back to the oldest version of the standard I can find (1999 edition).

Much thanks!
    -Stephen

------------------------------
    Stephen Rooney
    R&D Metallurgist
    Ellwood Materials Technologies
    Education courses

• 2.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-19-2023 07:36
    I don't know the answer to your question, but Ni and Cu are austenitizers. Minimizing these elements may reduce retained austenite. --
    John Grubb

Education courses

• 3.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-19-2023 10:40

John,

That was one of my suspicions as well, since Ni and Cu were expressed as a summation.  But tool steels have a substantial amount of Carbon, which would strongly depress the Ms and promote retained austenite.  Perhaps the Ni and Cu stabilitize the retained austenite to higher temperatures so tempering does not remove it effectively, but 0.75% total Ni+Cu seems pretty small to me to do that.

-Stephen

Stephen Rooney
    R&D Metallurgist

Education courses

• 4.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-19-2023 11:49

I am in heat treating + forging business and we also use Ni-Cu Ratio to prevent hot cracking. The ratio is applied for alloyed steel and 0.20 max in plain carbon steels.

Sanjay Kulkarni
    Materials Engineer
    MSSC
    2040 Crooks RD, Suite A
    Troy, MI 48084
    sanjay.kulkarni@msscna.com
    Cell: 248-840-1056

Education courses

• 5.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-20-2023 18:29
    Cu promotion of hot cracking of steels is real. Oxidation concentrates Cu below the scale-metal interface. Once that concentration exceeds the solid solubility, Cu separates and at high temperature is molten. The liquid Cu phase can rapidly penetrate the austenite grain boundaries and cause liquid metal cracking. 

--
    John Grubb

Education courses

• 6.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-22-2023 11:33

Stephen and co -

Please see below.

- Jim

ASTM A681-08(2022) falls under Subcommittee A01.29 on Tool Steels,,
    which is responsible for these five:
    A561-08(2020) Standard Practice for Macroetch Testing of Tool Steel Bars

A597/A597M-14(2020) Standard Specification for Cast Tool Steel

A600-92a(2016) Standard Specification for Tool Steel High Speed

A681-08(2022) Standard Specification for Tool Steels Alloy

A686-92(2016) Standard Specification for Tool Steel, Carbon

I suggest you contact Scott Orthey, the staff manager for
    the higher Committee A01, to put you in contact with the
    subcommitte members who field questions for ASTM A681.

Committee A01 on Steel, Stainless Steel and Related Alloys

Staff Manager: W Scott Orthey (sorthey@astm.org)

Committee A01 Officers and Staff Support
    Chair: Daniel S. Janikowski
    User Vice-Chair: Glen Rob. Folsom
    Editor: Julia Porter
    Producer Vice-Chair: Kenneth E. Orie
    Editor: Lauren Knecht
    Administrative Assistant: Lindsey Limone
    Producer Vice-Chair: Patrick W. Nowak
    Secretary: Ray Kremer
    Editor: Robert Boileau
    Membership Secretary: Terry L. Tressler
    User Vice-Chair: Thomas J. Schlafly
    Producer Vice-Chair: Todd Nelson
    User Vice-Chair: Tom Ott
    Staff Manager: W Scott Orthey

Jim Quinn, Dir. of Laboratories
    Materials Sci & Chem Eng
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook NY

Education courses

• 7.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-25-2023 10:20

Thanks for the answers everyone!

I am familiar with Cu-related embrittlement in steel, but did not know that Ni had a hand in promoting it.
    I will get in touch with Scott Orthey.

Stephen Rooney
    R&D Metallurgist

Education courses

• 8.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-25-2023 23:57

Stephen,
    It is often not simple to look up the reasoning that was applied to specification language, particularly for older specifications or even from newer ones that had material adopted from older ones.  Those sorts of details don't always make it into the archives of the Committees that write the ASTM Specifications.  I have on more than one occasion called Committee members to try to track down the reasons for this sort of question, and have not been rewarded with an answer in some instances.
    The comments made about copper grain boundary liquation issues, do have basis in fact.  I did once run into a situation where someone had left surface copper from tooling or a hammer on a piece that was then heated for bending, and ended up with cracking which I identified during metallography.
    Both elements do affect hardenability so to keep that characteristic within a predictable range they might be limited.  As well, I seem to remember some very old specifications that called out Ni+Cu, which I suspected were being analyzed with a method that didn't separate them well, so it was easier to just disallow any combination of them over that limit.  These specs are/were written with whatever the current industrial practice is/was for analytical methods. 
    The A681 seems to be an "umbrella" specification to some extent, and I have found that broad 'good practice' type requirements are often placed in such which can be further modified by subsidiary, narrower specifications for certain end uses/product forms.  I found the same Ni+Cu statement in a 1994 version, and see that the original specification was from 1973.
    Your question made me look for my old Tool Steel book, which was out of print (by the 1970s) so my professor had to get permission to photocopy it for us.  However unfortunately I cannot locate it at the moment.  I hope my comments are of value.

Paul Tibbals

Education courses

• 9.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-26-2023 07:36
    Paul's response is absolutely on track. After more than 20 years in Codes and Standards, I have learned that the societies involved are extremely averse to revealing "why." Consensus standards are the products of committees, and trade offs may be part of achieving consensus. Even if a reason is given at the time of adoption, it rarely is preserved. 
    The issue of analytical capability is also valid.  The chemical analysis that we could do 50 years ago is so much less than what we routinely do today that it is easy to forget why some limits were established. 
    --
    John Grubb

Education courses

• 10.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-31-2023 10:44

Thank you for the additional comments.

Hearing that the reasoning for certain requirements in specifications is not retained or documented is concerning.  I fear that would lead to a situation where a requirement is enforced, but not understood, even if there is a sound metallurgical basis to deviate from it.  We would then be on a path of constantly adding on requirements, possibly unnecessarily increasing cost.  Much the same thing happens in government specifications, in my experience.

When specifications come up for review, are requirements ever removed?

In the case of Ni+Cu, I am in total agreement with the effect of Cu on hot workability; that is well known.  But I would think increasing the Ni content is fairly harmless, and could promote the formation of retained austenite if lower temperature toughness was desired.  Most of the users of this material in my world are tool shops that don't necessarily understand the metallurgy; they just want their material and for it to work for whatever it is they are doing.

Stephen Rooney
    R&D Metallurgist

Education courses

• 11.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 05-31-2023 13:29

Stephen,
    Your concerns are valid.  At work, a company with a 100+ year history, we had a phrase, "Dead guy's rules", concerning how processes (or specifications) carry along without any knowledge of what the reasoning was for.  I once found someone diligently maintaining a decades-old anti-corrosion system that was no longer electrically connected, as probably the most glaring example. 

It's not at all unusual for specific or even tribal / communal knowledge to not be documented, and apparently this carries over into material specification territory.  Companies (or in this case Committees) do not want to spend the time to write up extensive history & reasoning, and files and documents have costs to maintain, and when people retire or just move on there is often inadequate turnover time because that's not a cost that is easy to charge to a customer.  But there's always budget to do it over, or a hidden cost when customers don't come back, or a failure occurs when the reasoning behind a material call-out was lost and someone decides to save money with a cheaper substitute.

Paul Tibbals

Education courses

• 12.  RE: ASTM A681 - Origin of Ni+Cu maximum

Posted 06-01-2023 11:12
    Most specifications are written through a consensus process, and the balance of interests (manufacturers/producers vs. users) usually prevents the addition of any unnecessary requirements. Yes, requirements sometimes are removed during the review process, but it is rare. The same consensus process that makes it hard to add requirements also makes it hard to remove requirements. 
    Note that (at least in ASTM), any member can propose any revision. Then the committee decides whether the proposal is accepted. 
    The effect of Ni is well-known, and can be seen even in the absence of austenite. (Consider the 9% Ni steels used for cryogenic service.) Ni also depresses the critical temperature, leading to possible formation of austenite during high temperature tempering. This has led to a divergence between Europe and North America. ASTM/ASME limits the Ni+Mn in the 9Cr-1Mo alloys to provide a wider tempering temperature range, while EN allows higher Ni to promote toughness and satisfy PED rules. You can have one or the other, but not both. (Also, consider how difficult it is to pressurize anything with steam below 100 degrees C.)

--
    John Grubb

Education courses