TSS Membership Community

View Only
  • 1.  LOCTITE EA 9658 AERO epoxy film adhesive as an alternative for the FM-1000 glue (ASTM C633)

Posted 11 days ago
    Dear Thermal Spray Community!

I was informed that the LOCTITE EA 9658 AERO epoxy film glue (https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/industrial-adhesives/loctite_ea_9658_aero.html) could potentially replace the FM 1000 film glue regarding the ASTM C633 tensile adhesion test of thermal spray coatings.

Based on that, I was wondering if members of our community already have experience with this new alternative glue and if they could share their thoughts about it.

Any feedback is very appreciated. 

Cheers!

------------------------------
    Rogerio Lima, PhD
    Senior Research Officer
    National Research Council of Canada
    ASM Thermal Spray Society (TSS) Vice President

e-mail: rogerio.lima@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
    Thermal Spray Accepted Practices - Order Today

• 2.  RE: LOCTITE EA 9658 AERO epoxy film adhesive as an alternative for the FM-1000 glue (ASTM C633)

Posted 10 days ago
    Hello Rogerio, 

Thanks for digging up this information! I think the community is going to wish to see some side to side comparisons between this glue (or any other candidates...) and the FM 1000 for a range of 'standard' coatings. A task that's going to take a bit of time and resources to complete. 

Nick

Nicholas Nicholas Curry
    Consultant
    Thermal Spray Innovations
    Bruck an der Großglocknerstraße

• 3.  RE: LOCTITE EA 9658 AERO epoxy film adhesive as an alternative for the FM-1000 glue (ASTM C633)

Posted 10 days ago
    Agreed Nick,

I already got a feedback from one of the members of our thermal spray community. They said it does reach the 70 MPa (10,000 psi) tensile strength of the FM 1000. This is good news. But they claimed it is difficult to handle.

I guess this is related to the fact that the glue needs to be stored at -18oC (according to the specs). Therefore, a regular fridge will not do; i.e., you need a real freezer. And it seems that the glue is shipped in dry-ice.

So... I am trying to spread the info and check if other people could provide a feedback on it.

Cheers,

Rogerio

Rogerio Lima, PhD
    Senior Research Officer
    National Research Council of Canada
    ASM Thermal Spray Society (TSS) Vice President

e-mail: rogerio.lima@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca

• 4.  RE: LOCTITE EA 9658 AERO epoxy film adhesive as an alternative for the FM-1000 glue (ASTM C633)

Posted 10 days ago
    Potential users should request the needed info from Loctite Henkel and make them aware of this market.

Best regards,

Bob Miller
    6533 Woodmere Circle
    Indianapolis, IN 46260 USA
    +1 317-698-5479 Mobile
    +1 317-259-7632 Home